Friday, June 28, 2013

Ruffling foot

Things have been a bit hectic since the wedding, but are starting to settle down. Two days ago I was ready to get back to sewing things for myself. We had moved my machine and other sewing essentials to the attic where I could have some space to finish up the wedding sewing when children and grandchildren were filling our home. Advantage: great escape. Disadvantage: hot attic. So before I could start sewing on a top that I wanted to make, I decided to make some curtains to cover the south-facing window.

I use my mother's "vintage" Singer sewing machine, model 15. It's the one I learned on, and I love it. The only thing it can't do, I think, is zigzag. It has an amazing buttonhole attachment that makes perfect buttonholes every time. And it has this ruffling foot.


I had never tried it before, even though many of those little girls' dresses that I made had to have gathered skirts, basically because I wasn't sure how much of them would gather and whether or not the gathers would be adjustable to make the skirts fit the bodice.


But, curtains--that would be a great opportunity to just ruffle up some strips of fabric and sew them around the edge.


And I did it.


Okay, don't look too closely, as they are by no means perfect. But they are functional, and kind of pretty, I think. I lined the fabric with that blackout lining in an effort to keep some of the heat out. And I used the top ruffle as the curtain rod pocket--probably a real no-no. But, hey, they add color and functionality to my new room, and I think they're kind of fun.

1 comment: