Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bag

I had fun figuring out how to make this bag. I combined techniques that I read about in three different tutorials, including the "hot dog" method from a 4-H sewing class, French seams from the bag tutorial on the Did You Make That blog, and pockets and handles from the free Craftsy class about bag making.
Front with pocket


Back with no pocket


Insides show the simple but effective fished edges of the "hot dog" method. Here is a PDF tutorial that explains it better than I ever could. I was just tickled with the results. Hot Dog!

French seams to finish the inside

4 comments:

  1. These are so cute!!! I think they will really like doing this. There are so many uses for a little tote bag. Scripture carrier, make-up holder, lunch bag, and the list goes on. I know my kids love little bags like this. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie. I'm going to be helping a few eight- and nine-year-old girls make these this afternoon. I'm prepping them, though, by pre-making the handles, serging the edges of the fabric so the insides won't have to be finished with French seams, and pre-sewing the pockets so all they'll have to do is turn them right-sides-out, press, and sew them on. I hope it goes well and they like them. I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Do you recognize the fabric? It's what I bought last year when we were in Oregon. Today I'm going to use it to help my Activity Day girls make a sewing project. Wish me luck!

      Delete